2009年7月31日金曜日

Class Number 7 Names and Addresses

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?

I think feelings and emotions are universal, but facial expression is not. Feelings and emotions are made up from all of our life and everybody has them. However, we learn the way to make facial expressions in each different society. For example, when I want to explain my say feeling, I make a sullen face. I learn it from my family. When I make this face my family notice I am sad. However, when I make a sullen face in front of my friends, they may think I am angry.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English
translation.

楽しい(pleasant)
悲しい(sad)
眠たい(sleepy)
しんどい(painful)
居心地が悪い(uncomfortable)
居心地が良い(comfortable)
恥ずかしい(ashamed)
寂しい(lonely)
退屈(bored)
疲れる(tired)
安心する(relief)
緊張する(nervous)

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English

Yes, I think we cannot translate some feelings in Japanese into English.

For example,

もったいない

In dictionary, this Japanese is translated “wasteful” in English.In English English dictionary, wasteful means “using too much of something or wasting it.” However this word in English does not show the feeling of 惜しい. There are some words we translate into surface English words. However, we can not say it translate exactly.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿